Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Obsession

It takes a certain level of obsession to be a novelist.  To go over the same territory a dozen times and finding a way to make it fresh.  To revisit the same moment again and again, and work it until it sparkles, until its natural, until it hurts just the way I want it to.

Life is lived going forward, going blindly into the unknown of the next moment.

But the creation of a novel is lived backward, sideways, any way I want it, the best and worst parts repeated again and again.  I can go back and fix what didn't work, erase a mistake, or take a new action and get an entirely different result.

In my writing I get to render the chaos of life into the tempered line of a story.

Until this moment, I always thought of myself as an outcome driven writer:  I want the satisfaction of a finished product, of a beautiful sentence, a book deal, or a wowed audience gushing in their seats.

But at this moment, I am struck by how much I love the process.  I love polishing a scene until it's shiny and fluid like a flowing river, organically flowing and twisting along.  I love consciously crafting an experience until it gets closer and closer to what I want.  I love seeing what I can accomplish with just the changing of a word, and I love being utterly surprised by what comes out, in both the quick snaps of inspiration and the well-oiled nuances that emerge on their own over months.

It takes a certain level of obsession to be a writer.  Luckily, I've got it.

5 comments:

  1. I love getting to read about what you love about writing! Very exciting for me. It gives me a visceral experience of what it's like for you. I love that you talk about writing the way that I talk about the labyrinth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's passion Nancy! It's all the same. I just love that, too. No matter what a person gets passionate about, it seems to take us all to the same place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE reading your writing. Any and all of it. You are able to translate your sensual innards into words that tune me into sensual. I LOVE sensuality because it is delicious. I am most attracted to art that moves me. Your artistry moves me. Thank you and I want, crave, hunger, thirst for MORE. Bring it, babe. Bring it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete