I have been editing my novel for the past several months, with a keen eye towards "less is more"--trim a few words off a tired sentence, and all of a sudden it is throbbing alive. I have attempted, before, to cut words ruthlessly, to show no mercy, to pare down a paragraph like some Viking woman carves up a side of elk.
But today, in my editing, I owned brevity differently. Today I felt the pleasure of how "less" creates space, and how space cradles possibility. Spaces holds an experience open to be re-imagined and created. I get to conjure my own images, and make my own assumptions. My eye slides eagerly to the next sentence.
In my editing today I accessed a clear, loving boundary, a boundary most tune in to what what serves. It is the loving place inside that says: enough.
This word doesn't add; this word clogs and stifles. But here, in this place, we can run on a little, flourish and dribble and I will eagerly follow along...
Brevity invites my favorite type of word: verbs.
Verbs are the artillary of writing. They tighten, squirt, indulge, shatter, blast, eavesdrop, tiptoe, anticipate, and dissolve.
They're like tiny bullets that explode inside their targets; they accomplish a great deal in the minimal amount of space. They're fantastic, almost erotic, objects that I encourage you to get to know intimately if you have any interest in writing.
Here's how far I go, in case you want to follow me: Evaporate and dissolve seem like the same word, right? They could easily be interchanged in a sentence; but try them on in your mouth. Evaporate. Dissolve. To me, one spreads--the other doens't. One seems to happen quickly while the other lingers, almost erodes...
This is what I do for you, my darling reader. I try to give it to you exactly. I hunt for the most delicious words and then offer them up in a sentence so smokin' that we can simultaneously shout out--Yes! That's it!
And also relax. Because in the presence of the truth--when the inside matches the out... I relax.
Oh Queen B I LOVE how you give it to me.
ReplyDelete